Wednesday 14 December 2011

Photo Story, Tyda and English zone

Hello again in my last blogpost here.

This will be my very last examples of working with ICT as a teacher in English: I want to make stories out of the programme Photo Story. I´ve made it in Swedish and social science together with a colleague, but I think it would be nice doing this in English with simple dialogues. They can through pictures record themselves saying Hello. What´s your name? What are you doing? etc This is pupils in the age of 8 years and they have been studying English during 1½year with me. I think it would be nice doing this practice in a different way than just saying it in the classroom to eachother. You also get the shy pupils to speak louder when you record it this way I think. Maybe I will have this as a project in my essay in Module 1C??

I also want to tell you about the iPhone-application ”tyda” and how useful it is. Dictionary is too heavy for my young learners, but they use ”tyda” through my iPhone now and then in the classroom. I myself also use ”tyda” when pupils ask me about a word I can´t remember or if I´m unsure about spelling a word. I use ”tyda” also in my own Englishstudies and when I´m writing letters to relatives and friends in English all over the world. ”Tyda” is a sort of dictionary where you are able to look up words in a quick way from Swedish-English and English-Swedish. Recently I had a lesson with my pupils about fruits and vegetables. One of my pupils thought the words we´ve been practicing were too easy so he wanted to learn more words. He took help by me and ”Tyda” to spell and to learn the words for ”sparris”, ”rödbeta” och ”blomkål”, which we hadn´t talked about at all. He just wanted to learn more. Some of the pupils around him also wanted to learn these new words and suddenly ”tyda” made my pupils wanted to learn even more than I had ever imagined and expected!! J Now most of my pupils also know aspargus, beetroot and cauliflower. Isn´t this fantastic!?...

I also love to show the programmes produced by BBC called ”English zone”. It´s programmes giving a fun input to pupils who have recently started to learn English. The programmes lasts about 10 minutes and each of them have a subject about something you usually teach your pupils in, for example colors, fruits, numbers, familywords, clothes. I show them as ”streaming video” in my classroom now and then and I´m able to get them from ”Medioteket” (AV-centralen) in Stockholm, which is a place where schools in Stockholm are able to get support in all kind of media (books, films, recordings…) Fortunately I have a projector in my classroom so it´s very easy to do whenever it´s suitable in a certain lesson.

Regards again from Ann Goliath-Pillóla.

2 comments:

  1. Hi!
    I have been wanted a program like Photostory for some time so when I saw this I just got it at once. I will use Photostory next year and I´m thinking of using in a project we have been working with where the kids have made paperdolls. In different ways they have worked with their paperdolls name, where they live, family, jobs and so many other things. It will be so much fun to do stories about their dolls! And I teach 4th and 5th grades at the same time with a huge varity in what they can so with this they all can work at their own level. I think Photostory is easy to use. It didn´t take me long time to figure it out. Thats good because I hate programs that take to long time to lear or are to complicated. Thank you very much!! /Gunilla

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I just forgot to tell you that I also use English zone and I think its great. I have showed to my kids in 3rd grade but are thinking of how I could use it for the kids that have trouble learning english in 4th grade. I wish I had a video projector in my classroom too. I´m sure it makes it so much easier. I have to book the projector everytime I wish to use it. /Gunilla

    ReplyDelete