Monday 2 January 2012

Hi!
I would like to share www.glosbokens.se with you. It is a webpage where pupils can practice vocabulary. This webpage started in 2002 by some students at Luleå Tekniska högskola. They wanted to have a more fun way to learn vocabulary and made this webpage.
There are similarities to glosor.eu but I think that glosboken is easier and better to use. The main similarities are of course that it gives pupils the opportunity to practice and improve their vocabulary. On glosboken you can play games with the words that you need to practice. Easy games like Hang the man and memory. There is also a text-to-speech-button so you can hear how the words are pronounced. As a teacher I can create different courses for my pupil. For example I have some children that need a little easier word and to practice words like weekdays, colours and food then I create courses made for their needs. Of course the other pupils can use that too. To be able to use the courses I made they need a link. That might sound easy but my experience is that some have a hard time with getting the link in order and subscribing to the page. A good thing to avoid this is to work it thru with the pupils on for instance an IWB or with help from a projector.
As soon as you have an account you can start to work at the page. I have already written a course with the next week words that they have for exercise so it is only to start working. They can choose to “plugga” and there they can choose between 1. “Genomgång” – mean that they can review all the words, 2. “Öva” – is practice and 3.”Förhör” – is examination. There is a Smart-learning-button while using it one can repeat all the wrong answers. If they want to it is possible to play games, “Hangman”, “Memory” and my favorite “Banka glosor” where you hammer a mole holding a sign with the right word on. It is on time and if you ask me, very, very funny!
As a teacher I can control what my pupil exercise on, in a different way from glosor.eu. Here I give pupils (and parents) a direct link to the exercises I have made. And by putting the vocabulary on an internet based service like this you avoid the problems with pupils not taking their homework with them home. Most pupils do have a computer with access to internet.
/Gunilla

No comments:

Post a Comment